Did you know that millions of people play Fantasy football these day? Pretty incredible, huh? Every football season fans get together with friends and play fantasy football. Sometimes people play in multiple leagues. As the winner of multiple fantasy football championships, I have to say that it really is amazing how much of a craze fantasy football really is. So I had an epiphany… why aren’t businesses capitalizing on the fantasy football craze by running their own fantasy football league for their business?
What Types of Businesses Should Run Fantasy Football Leagues?
Now I’m not just talking about businesses like bars and restaurants running fantasy football leagues as a marketing tactic. I think any business who’s target audience is primarily males, ages 15 – 50, should consider running a fantasy football league with their customers. Think about it, you have unlimited communication opportunities with 12-14 customers for 17 weeks! Here’s a list of some of the businesses that I think would benefit from using fantasy football as a marketing tactic designed to engage their customers and build stronger relationships with them:
- Bars & Restaurants
- Sports apparel and sports collectibles stores
- Athletic shoe stores
- Gaming shops
- Golf courses
- Local news outlets
- Coffee Shops
Benefits to Running a Fantasy Football League for Your Small Business
Running a fantasy football league with customers of your small business can be an extremely effective marketing tactic for building strong relationships with customers, creating customer advocates, and even market research. Throughout the fantasy football season you can post business-related messages within the league forum, have conversations with each customer who’s playing in the league, and have a chance to turn customers into advocates for your small business.
The benefits of running a fantasy football league your small business are as follows:
- Build strong relationships with customers
- Fun branding/awareness promotion
- Drive traffic (players) to your blog/website
- Educate players/customers on your products and services during the season
- Offer sales promotions in order to increase sales
The benefits to your customers for participating in your business’s fantasy football league are:
- Fun way to interact with a business/play fantasy football
- Ability to win a prize for winning the league (businesses should definitely offer prizes to 1st – 3rd place finishers as a way to entice customers to participate in your fantasy football league)
- Learn more about products and services that you are already interested in
- Receive discounts from the business during the league year
As you can see, running a fantasy football league to help promote your small business has a lot of advantages. If you’re interested in setting up a fantasy football league for your small business, but need some help doing so, leave a comment below. If enough businesses want more information, we’ll write another article designed to help you setup a fantasy football league for your small business.